Saturday, May 21, 2011

Slow Food in a Fast World

When I work on our site and game I am always on the run.  There is more work than the day can hold, so I'm in a constant state of picking and choosing today's most important tasks. 

That rush-rush carries over to my cooking sometimes too.  "What's fast?" I think.

But on the other hand I also do not eat "fast food."  No burgers. No fries. No take out.  No pizza.

Plus, I grow vegetables in my gardens and there is usually something ready.

This week there is lettuce (wonderful, fresh tender spring heads). Fresh green spring onions.  And there are peas. Not snap peas, English podded peas.

Every few days there is about a quart of pods ready to pick.

Now English peas are delicious. The fresh ones are divine, sweet when lightly cooked and they take no time to cook.

But you have to shuck them out of the pods.


As I open each pod, marveling at the peas lined up, my mind goes a mile a minute.  What am I doing here?

Don't I have to get back to WORK?!! 

Can I afford this time away from the computer?

Is this bowl of peas going to be the reason I don't get everything done?!!!

But I keep shucking them.

I think of English peas as the original slow food. 

They really are.  To prepare them you must SLOW DOWN.

And that is why I grow them.

No comments:

Post a Comment