Monday, April 11, 2011

And that's the way it is...

Growing up I heard Walter Cronkite say that phrase every evening.

No matter if there were shots of injured soldiers and war and terrible things, somehow I felt that the world was a better place because the news had been sorted out, evaluated and presented in a cogent form that gave me hope that there was sense in the world.

Even more, somehow I trusted that governments and companies really did want to provide products that were safe, dependable and economical.  That was what the free market meant, I thought, if somebody came up with a better, cheaper mousetrap then it would succeed.

So when I started work as a young woman there was always a boss, usually male. There was a pile of stuff to do.  I worked on making that "to-do" pile smaller and the "done" pile bigger.

Actually, I guess I thought that was what life was.

Then my jobs changed, I got into the entertainment industry and began working on projects more closely with the managers and producers who were creative types.

Always curious, I earnestly asked how did they do things.  How did they choose the songs for American Idol? The answer "The cheapest songs we can clear"  meaning they can get permission from the composer and publisher to use the song.

Other people I worked for were clueless.

"I can do better," I thought.

Then I started as an entrepreneur. I began hiring suppliers and independent contractors.

And suddenly I was the boss.

It is weird. Now when a supplier calls up and says I can't work, my work does not go away, their work just gets added on top of it, like an extra sweater on an already too-warm day.

So I am going to publish our next newsletter.  I am doing all the contests.  I am creating all the art that members are sending in.  And we are still working on moving forward the business end as well.

Funny, just when I thought I couldn't work any harder, suddenly I am.

And tonight I rode our big bay gelding, and for the first time in a couple months I suddenly felt at home on his back.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment